Saturday, May 5, 2007

My Piece...

Eight years ago I landed in Starkville with no friends and no familiar faces. From the first time I hung out with Lucas and the rest of Da Guys, my circle of associates grew rapidly. Through you, I ran into so many faces that will last a lifetime in my mind. Man, no matter how "vicious" you came on to be you had the ability to leave a mark on everyone you came in contact with. The numerous times we made those trips to Hattiesburg, Oxford, Birmingham, and all points in between. If there was some one from State, they recognized Big Luke. Hell sometimes you didn't even know who they were. Dude we grew so much in damn near a ten year time span. So many people have had the chance to get to know you, too many. A prime example was how fast the news spread among the ones that knew you. I don't know many that can be as friendly as you were. People don't know how loyal you were to your family and those you called close. The circle shrunk as the day closed, but you still kept in touch with the ones that you said mattered. There's not but a hand-full of people that have been there for those all night sessions after a party (in 201 of course), the days on the bench behind the Union, and those young cafeteria days when we stayed in there from open to close.
There are even less that can relive the experience the long hours on the road (we got to see the 'Canes in person), the days standing in front of the spot at Gooch's (I'm still out there with you, Jew), the night you saw about 20 of you future wives in the Platinum of Birmingham (boy you a fool). I just want to let you know that it's gonna be hard for me to talk to anybody I met through you, watch any movie that we've discussed (Training Day/Choices/Fuck any Denzel movie/the list goes on), music (Dem Guys won't sell out any shops but we know where everybody was coming from), watch the Canes play (We going to Norman this year my Boy), and so many phrases that were either coined or made popular by you (now that's some vicious shit there). For all those that will never get to read Mutherfucka Why?, I know you didn't to put it on paper but they got the point. To everyone that reads this unorganized note, this is just the way he wanted to write his book. No chapters, no paragraphs, just pages and pages of his thoughts on paper. You went out on top just like Malcolm and Pac; don't matter how long it took you tasted it if only for a moment. You loved being a Five so much that you went out on the Fifth day of the Fifth month, Somma Beesh! Whatever I left out, you know there's too much to say. From the Boi Wonder himself (you were there when we coined that name too), I can't let your memory die. Vaughan boys don't die. Outlawz are immortal. The Horsemen always ride. And Dem Guys never part ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment