Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fight On, Fight On

In our everyday lives, we find ourselves caught up in the un-importants and un-needed. Complaints of things that we cannot control and shit that really doesn't have any meaning once we think about it. I've had the opportunity to field the many gripes and mumbles of undeserving people daily on my job. Be it a customer or a co-worker, when was the last time you did something to sacrifice for others? I hold back the anger from my eyes as I hear people utter "It's unfair." It's not fair because they can't have their fucking way with their privileged asses. The pressure is so much to bear sometimes, and I know others notice. But I must hold on; my struggle is minute compared to others. We don't know each others background and motivations, yet still some people cannot be considerate, understanding, or plain fucking appreciative. There are people who cannot appreciate the fact that they have the ability to make the decision to spend $300 on shit they don't need while there's someone who's not even getting a $300 pay check. It's a given that life is not fair, and thanks to math, I know that a given does not have to be stated because it's understood. Keep your fucking "it's not fair" talk. I laugh this shit off most days because it is comical. At the end of the day, I can't even sleep with all this pulling at my mind.


I was once in a place that me and my BROTHERS were always a split second away from paying the ultimate price. Although we never discussed it, I know that we came to understand that fact soon after our boots hit the sand. GySgt Reeder paid that price; he was young by the eyes of the world but seasoned in the eyes of young Marines.



I never knew Cpl Dustin Lee even though he attended the same high school as I. He was a few years behind me but still blazed a similar path as so many of the students that call Quitman High their Alma mater. He joined the Corps in 2004 after graduation. I remember my mother telling me about his decision to join. I don't need to know his motivation just like I don't even know my own; the fact is he served the country. In 2007, almost 2 years to the day that I returned home with a new outlook on life, Cpl Lee was killed in action in the same area where my company had served during 2004-05. The morning of his homecoming, I remember grieving so hard that I could barely move. I wanted to pay my respects, but I was too weak. Part of me wanted to trade places with Dustin because it was so sick of what had been experienced in the two years home. The other part wanted to live on because GySgt Reeder, Cpl Lee, and so many others throughout the years, departed and living in this sometimes ungrateful world, have done their parts to make sure that you have the right to complain about not being able to live you privileged little lives the way you see fit.


   




For all my BROTHERS, you're welcome for your first world inconveniences.

As for my respects for Cpl Dustin J. Lee, I know it's been 5 years but....
 
Marine's Hymn

I know you will make sure those streets are guarded.




HOO-RAH!!!