Monday, March 12, 2012

Maybe Islam is Right

I had to ask myself why it was so important to have a geographically accurate image of Jesus. Then I realized that the image is not as important as the story, the Word, the life. With that, maybe Islam is right in the aspect of not creating images of Allah and Muhammad.

I searched for images of Jesus and most of them were of this innocent looking figure with a beautiful body, regardless of complexion. Sometimes he had trimmed facial hair, others had long but still groomed beard. This leads me to believe that these images were created to make it easy to claim Jesus. So if the Man looked like any of these images, why was it so hard for people to follow Him? It's hard for me to believe that people of biblical times were not easily convinced by physical appearance (see Samson).

Now, many stories in the Bible come from the model of God revealing himself in a way that no one expects: angels taking the form of strangers, stories of sick and unwanted people being key to a blessing, people deemed as sinners being the keeper of his Word, etc. How is it not far fetched that Jesus could have been 5'6" 246 lb in the human form?

Hey folks, we need to calm down with the image worship. I say we because I've been a victim of this. And that's all I have to say about that.